We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

UPDATED BE WARNED - Make The Cut! website is no longer viable! Search tool for forum also defunct.

Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,942
edited February 5 in General
UPDATE: February 5, 2021

The MTC  & PCS websites have disappeared again! which means you CANNOT purchase MTC/PCS, you cannot register MTC/PCS, the galleries are not available, you cannot search this forum. 

Will update and post again if anything changes. 

UPDATE: December 8, 2020

The MTC website has made a miraculous return!
You can purchase MTC and you can purchase PCS. HOWEVER YOU WILL NOT GET A PCS registration key, the one that is automatically sent out starts with MTC and would only work for a new MTC registration. A bit unethical if you ask me, but its not my website, it's not my database that is screwed up. Perhaps if someone launched a legal action??? I know, but we're talking ethics here, how can you sell something that can't be used without being unethical??

The MTC Gallery has returned, and is searchable - still might get big fat nothings when you click download, but at least you can see what you can't have.

Sandy reported the PCS gallery has also returned.

The Search tool is working again.

Using the Retrieve Registration Key page is not working, so if you don't have that you are still hooped.

You don't get $57.95 advertized price as the selling price for MTC, it stays at 79.95 USD using the form. Unethical.

So for now, I'd flag this as caveat emptor, buyer beware. You may not get what you think you are getting. As always, we will help as much as we can, and if anything changes, will update again.

Formerly:
This means
that MTC can no longer be purchased.

This means that the MTC Gallery can no longer be accessed.

This means that MTC registration keys can no longer be recovered.

This means that MTC PINs cannot be used to obtain an MTC registration key.

This DOES NOT mean that MTC no longer works. It is NOT a cloud software, so it will continue to work on the Windows platform you have it on, and into the future, until such time as Windows will no longer work with 32 bit software. The Mac platform already has moved in this direction, as of Catalina version, MTC no longer works on Mac. If you have a prior version of iOS, it should work...but no guarantees. Back up whatever versions you have so that you don't get yourself into a pickle should your computer decide to bite the dust (too).

Sandy is revising her document on how to retrieve your MTC registration key if you still have access to the computer where it was installed and working properly. Find that here: https://www.iloveknk.com/Support/Tutorials/Make-The-Cut/Retrieving-MTC-and-PCS-Registrations.pdf

Active support for MTC can be found on several KNK cutter Facebook groups:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KNKForce/ - the Force doesn't work with MTC, but still have MTC knowledgeable peeps

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KNKZing/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KNKMaxx/

We will still respond here as long as the forum still functions.

Alternatives:

We are recommending that you make the leap into Sure Cuts A Lot - SCAL. It works on both PC and Mac iOS. It is actively supported and also has active FB groups. Here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/surecutsalotscal/

Purchase SCAL from here: https://scrappydew.cartloom.com/checkout/direct/BA6E5A65C3FDE9390B729C8DB311AC6D/1596746404/qb

I'll update this post as new or other information becomes available.

**As of August 10, the Search tool for the forum is now not functioning.**

Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
Post edited by Liz_A on

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,942
    Continuing the theme...

- again, MTC will still work, and continue to work on Windows computers. It is not dead, so I don't want to hear anyone saying that because it's not true!! LOL!! It is abandonware, but it still works fine and will continue to work for the foreseeable future. Windows hasn't announced any plans to discontinue supporting 32 bit software (computers sold now are 64 bit).

- see my initial post for instructions on how to recover your MTC or PCS registration keys.

- to convert your MTC files to SVG, simply select all => File => Export and choose Sel. to SVG file. The Sel. is short for selection.

- if you have MTC installed in Windows, get yourself a new USB drive (thumb drive) and copy the entire folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Make The Cut!\ to the thumb drive. Remove the thumb drive and put it in any Windows computer to have a mobile or portable version of MTC. Simply open the Make The Cut! folder and double click the MTC!.exe file and off you go!

- to get a copy of the MTC install file, please post back or PM me

And remember...MTC is not dead, it is not gone away, we just do not have access to the website anymore, or registration key recovery, or PIN registration.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • PennyPenny Member Posts: 2,276
    Thank you @Liz_A. Will be doing a thumb drive.
    Penny in Albuquerque, NM "Not all those who wander are lost." - R.R. Tolkien
    LINKS TO DOWNLOAD THE LAST VERSION OF MTC:

https://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/

The plugins are also there.
  • LisaMBLisaMB Member Posts: 15
    I JUST moved my MTC software to a new Windows 10 computer about 2 weeks ago.  It is working fine.  Thank goodness, because I don't have time right now to go through the learning curve of SCAL.  :s
    Are we able to search topics in the search bar tool?
  • pigtailpatpigtailpat Member Posts: 1,519
    what happens if you have a new computer to which you would like to install MTC, and you have your registration key? I needed to upgrade my computer some months ago, and I definitely registered it (although I did not install all the plugins as I was working on a quilt), but the registration key is showing greyed out (you can't register). My older computer where all the necessary plugins are installed is showing the same thing - the greyed out registration bar. If you go to actually cut something, is the software considered in the "unregistered" state and will cut the slash for the unregistered version?  If I have to have a thumb drive version of the program, from which computer should I copy (older with all plugins already installed - or newer with not a complete set of plugins)? Should I try installing the plugins on the new computer I have? Will it work? 
    Cuts with Gazelle, PNC with silhouette.
  • pigtailpatpigtailpat Member Posts: 1,519
    I wanted to update my post above, I just figured out that the greyed out state of the "registration" line in my software is greyed out because I did register it. I'm used to seeing my name in the about the software (which isn't there anymore). I saw Sandy's video and then it clicked that I had not deactivated - and hence the registration line will not be active (I was very ill in 2019 with a brain covering lesion - I had surgery - I'm OK folks - just my memory is a bit fuzzy now). I looked on my computer, and I have the original email from mtc from 2009 (yes I go back that far - I'm one of the first who purchased, along with Rachellann and a few others) and definitely have my registration key. I also have all the .exe files for MTC and the plug-in files, I am just confused as to whether the registration process will work, and is my software considered registered.
    Cuts with Gazelle, PNC with silhouette.
    @pigtailpat - if you start MTC and do not get the DEMO dialog come up then you are registered and ready to go.

Someone created a nifty little tool that will gather your MTC and PCS registration codes for you. It is quick and easy to use:

https://www.iloveknk.com/Support/Software/Make-The-Cut/MTC-PCS-Reg-Key-Extractor/MTC - PCS Reg Key Extactor V2.zip

Another way to capture and save important info about MTC.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,865
    LisaMB said:
    Are we able to search topics in the search bar tool?
    Search where?
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    edited August 2020
    @LisaMB - NO this tool is broken!

Very sad.
  • DreamStreetRoseDreamStreetRose Member Posts: 242
    I'm so mad I could buy a Grasshopper!  Nah...just kidding. Backed up on a thumb drive with all my files too! May be moving over to SCAL??? I don't know what financial burden the grasshopper suit put on Andy. But I figure it was a lot harder on him than me. So, I'm going to suck it up and move forward.  But I sure do miss my PCS.     :D
    A grandma's name is little less in love than is the doting title of a mother. -- William Shakespeare
  • pinkrd1pinkrd1 Member Posts: 557
    OMG!!!!! So sad this program is gone.  I really enjoyed it.  Hopefully I have all files backed up.  I'm not on FB.  
  • DreamStreetRoseDreamStreetRose Member Posts: 242
    edited August 2020
    pinkrd1 said:
    OMG!!!!! So sad this program is gone.  I really enjoyed it.  Hopefully I have all files backed up.  I'm not on FB. 

The program isn't gone, gone...just no support from creator. It should continue working. At least that's how I understand. I'm still using it and will for a LONG time. 
    A grandma's name is little less in love than is the doting title of a mother. -- William Shakespeare
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 768
    @Liz_A So if all program files are copied to a thumb drive that includes plugins right?   I am confused about registration numbers:  if they no longer work why do we even need to keep them?  I have them, hard copy; just wondering why.  
    Member 30818
    Charo, the registration  numbers continue to work  just fine.  The problem is that MANY users don't bother keeping their reg numbers saved somewhere, expecting the company to always be there to provide on demand. And that's no longer an option with MTC unless the original pin was issued by KNK USA AND they happened to have received a copy of the registration email for that pin.
    Sandy McCauley
    Liz -  Thank you so much for posting the link for the download and plugins.  When I transferred my software over to a new computer a couple of months ago... I didn't connect my cutter until today.  I panicked when I realized the plug in was gone.  Your link was a life saver.  
    @LisaMB - glad that was helpful for you! If you need anything else, let us know!
  • nojokevenojokeve Member Posts: 3
    pinkrd1 said:

The program isn't gone, gone...just no support from creator. It should continue working. At least that's how I understand. I'm still using it and will for a LONG time. 
    Does anyone know how to contact the Creator?  Thanks!
    @nojokeve - no. He hasn't responded to personal emails or requests through this forum for over 5 years.
  • kathybesseykathybessey Member Posts: 635
    So I have been gone from the forum for several years but have continued to use my MTC software. I just popped on here for the first time in eons and see this thread. I am confused however as when I go to the MTC website there is a link to purchase the software. So is it truly no longer available or is that there is no longer any support and updates for it?

I was suggesting to a friend recently to get this software as I can help her learn how to do things with her cutter through this software (she is very intimidated by the cutters software). 

Lastly, if I truly need to move to SCAL - is it as user friendly as MTC has been all these years? I detest Silhouette's Design Studio. (Previously owned a Black Cat Cougar, now an Cameo 3 owner).

Thanks
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,305
    . . . I am confused however as when I go to the MTC website there is a link to purchase the software. So is it truly no longer available or is that there is no longer any support and updates for it?

. . . 

Lastly, if I truly need to move to SCAL - is it as user friendly as MTC has been all these years? I detest Silhouette's Design Studio. (Previously owned a Black Cat Cougar, now an Cameo 3 owner).

Thanks
    Cathy, not sure how you are seeing anything on the MTC website unless it’s an old link. When I try to go there, I don’t get anything and it has been that way for awhile now. So, yes, it is truly no longer available to be purchased. There has been no updates or official support for it in years, the forum is still here so far, but none knows if and when this too will be gone. If you are still using MTC, and want to continue with it as long as possible then you need to make sure you have it backed up with all its pieces and parts and have a copy of your registration code safely stored away. If you lose that, you can no longer recover it.

SCAL is very similar to MTC. Lots of same things, sometimes labeled a bit differently. Some newer features and tools because it has continued to be updated and works with newer cutters. It also can now import MTC files. If you do not own SCAL, Sandy McCauley has written a User Manual for SCAL and other documentation. See all the links to everything Liz posted above.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    edited December 2020
    It's appears that both MTC and PCS web sites are back up but I can't in good faith recommend anyone continue buying either program without either @Andy or @SBryanW providing assurance that customers CAN successfully register either pin AND be able to successfully recover their reg numbers if their computer crashes.  
    Sandy McCauley
    I agree with Sandy....stay as far away as you can!
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,305
    Interesting because when I tried last night, I still could not find pull the sites up. 
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    UPDATE December 10th: The PCS gallery is working, there are approx 180 designs available.
  • willow3410willow3410 Member Posts: 1
    Today is 12/10/2020 and just for giggles I decided to check the MTC website.  It is up and I CAN dowload MTC and the plug in.  I can even install it.  But using my registration number is another story.  I typed it in by hand and no go, found my original email, no go.  Requested my registration number and it said it may take up to an hour (it's now easily more than an hour still no email and yes I checked spam), we will see if this happens.  It's not been an hour, but so far no new email.  I have my original but I can't copy and paste it into the registration box.

I never used the gallery much so when it quit working ages ago, I wasn't really bothered.  The files from there were always imperfect and things would not piece together properly. Never was impressed with this feature.

My next thing I would like to ask about is Klik N Kut.  Does anyone know what is going on there?  They have no machines for sale.  Well none sold directly by them.  All you can do is get parts for the machines that they sold in the past. 

I am currently doing research for a new machine and software.  Has anyone else gotten a new machine and software?  If so, what machine and software did you get?   I do not feel that just getting SCAL and using a zing machine is the answer.

Liz_A said:
    UPDATE December 10th: The PCS gallery is working, there are approx 180 designs available.
    I forgot how to get to the PCS Gallery. Can you show me where to find it? It has been a long time since I have worked with PCS. Thank you.
    @Penny been awhile for me too, and I have a new PC but not had a chance to set up PCS yet. It's on the File menu somewhere. Not sure if there is an icon for it, also the toolbar that displays on the left side if I remember correctly.
    Liz_A said:
    @Penny been awhile for me too, and I have a new PC but not had a chance to set up PCS yet. It's on the File menu somewhere. Not sure if there is an icon for it, also the toolbar that displays on the left side if I remember correctly.
    This is the only window I get when I start PCS. No toolbar on the left side. I even looked in MTC thinking maybe there was a link for it there.
    @Liz_A - I found it. I had a DUH moment. Had to click on create and yes it is on the menu on the left side. Thank you for your help.
    @willow3410 - hi there, long time no see!! Hope all is good in your world.

That reg key is a royal pain to get installed. We are quite sure that the recover thing isn't working, did you use the same email as when you registered way back when? Did you try the copy paste? If you are still using a PC that MTC was on, you could try the instructions here:

https://www.iloveknk.com/Support/Tutorials/Make-The-Cut/Retrieving-MTC-and-PCS-Registrations.pdf

KNK owners retired, they did not wish to continue with developing new cutters under the KNK line (they had bad luck with the KNK Force AND the KNK Orbit and were not able to fulfill all promised items). Their son Chad is continuing in the business part time selling a new brand of cutter called SkyCut. The owners of this brand own the factory where the KNK Force was built...they took that technology and changed things up after KNK stopped producing the Force, and made several different versions of the cutter. You can find them at plottergeeks.com.

For replacement parts, Chad has promised to continue selling those. You can get them at plottergeeks, or the old KNK website: https://knkusa.com/#

If you order from them, please let Sandy know as she will make sure that things are sent out in a timely manner.

Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) supports all KNK cutters, and the SkyCut cutters. I can say the SkyCut is a great cutter, the one I have is kind of a mini Force, and a little bit like a Zing, its the basic model. Fast and very powerful.

IF you want me to help, I can guide you through manually adding the registration key to the Windows registry. Once it is added, then you can open MTC and you should not get the DEMO mode. You can PM if you want my help.

Post back if you have any other questions!
    @Penny - so happy to hear that!!! Happy PopUp cutting!!
    bumping
    Had a bump in service for awhile today.
  • ritreritre Member Posts: 35
    i was able to use the search function in mtc! hooray! the home page also works! i havent checked the gallery in pcs or mtc, but i really hope it works. i guess i will check it tomorrow! anyway, its really nice to have the search function, so much valuable info!
  • TAMinatorTAMinator Member Posts: 2,941
    The search window is working. It just warns me any info is across an unsecured site (or something like that).
    Such a shame MTC got abandoned. Nice the forum has still been around. I'm surprised. 
    Kaleidoscope Creations Stamps Made in USA photopolymer Kaleidoscope Creations Sometimes I think I should just keep my opinions to myself, she said, but someone has got to be the voice of reason. ~ Brian Andreas
    @TAMinator - I am surprised every time I check it, LOL!! Not sure what the agreement is with Vanilla the engine behind the forum, but I am hazarding that some day it may just quietly go away. :(
  • TAMinatorTAMinator Member Posts: 2,941
    edited March 7
    @Liz_A  Yeah. I used to be on Scrapjazz. They eventually closed the forum but left it archived. (Yet you could still post.) ETA: they were bought out by scrapbook.com at least a few years prior, so there was still an attached business. Eventually, they took it away. I used to search it for old posts in case I posted about something I was looking for info on. LOL
    As far as unethical.... I think as amazing as people thought Andy was for MTC and his free updates and all that stuff when MTC was in its heyday, you did have to question his ethics when he knew he was doing something that would be deemed wrong in the eyes of the law - not once, but twice being sued to stop. And my vague recollection of some back story of his previous life, this wasn't new territory for him. He just got a job out of it before if I remember right.
    Kaleidoscope Creations Stamps Made in USA photopolymer Kaleidoscope Creations Sometimes I think I should just keep my opinions to myself, she said, but someone has got to be the voice of reason. ~ Brian Andreas
  • SpinningwomanSpinningwoman Member Posts: 1
    edited March 28
    I'm confused by this I was just about to buy MTC and looked at the forum and found this.  I have an mtc file I need to convert to svg - will the demo program do that?  Or will it put a cut through it? is there another way to convert?  Thanks - I don't currently have a machine but was hoping to get a friend to cut this file for me and would be getting a machine in the future.
    Edited to say - so the demo version doesn't export to svg.  Anyone know another way to convert?  Thanks

@Spinningwoman - no the DEMO mode won't let you save, or export or print anything. You might try the DEMO for Sure Cuts A Lot, it has an MTC file import support now, but not sure about whether you can Export and save. It is different from MTC in that you have only 15 days to trial it, then it no longer works. It will add a slash to the cut as well during the trial.
    @Spinningwoman - if your file is not proprietary, I can convert it for you.