We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

'wireframe' or 'silhouette' to cut?

TAMinatorTAMinator Member Posts: 2,941
So the silhouette I have is the original SD one that was given to me. I played with it quite some time ago, asked some questions here, and then kind of gave up for the time being and just couldn't motivate myself to play with it again. (trying to get it to cut properly and/or where it appears on the screen.)  So today (or maybe it was last night while trying to sleep or early this morning also trying to sleep LOL) I was thinking of pulling it out and trying again.

Anyway, my test cuts I originally did using the silhouette plugin option. And I can cut with it - well, it cuts, but again I have to work out the bugs of getting it to cut where it's supposed to, etc.  The point being - it obviously receives the message to cut from the MTC software.

However, while searching around for info about how I might be able to get it to cut properly I came across info about using 'wireframe' under the print options. Was wondering if anyone knows if that works better than using the plugin option?  I will probably try and test it anyway - so long as I don't have to download anything else to use it. Though still searching while typing this out - maybe it's more hassle in the end for nothing better in return? I guess this was something that had to be used before the silhouette plugin was made? WDYT?
Kaleidoscope Creations Stamps Made in USA photopolymer Kaleidoscope Creations Sometimes I think I should just keep my opinions to myself, she said, but someone has got to be the voice of reason. ~ Brian Andreas

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,942
    @TAMinator - the wireframe option is used for cutters that don't have a plugin and can receive cutting instructions the same way that printers do, if my memory serves me well. You had to have that option checked, and its where you give the offset instructions, as that info comes from a cutter plugin. What version is your SD plugin?

You might find that the SCAL SD plugin works much better.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • TAMinatorTAMinator Member Posts: 2,941
    @Liz_A  yeah, I saw an old post where it was before the plugin option but didn't know if it made any difference cutting wise/accuracy. I can cut with the plugin.  There's no way I'm spending more money on any other program. How would the SCAL one work any better?

I figured out as best I can where the cuts will be and worked out the mat placement in the machine and margins to get it to cut right on the left and right sides (if you're looking at the mat in portrait). The top (which apparently is left in MTC - had to figure all that out!) will not cut where it shows on the mat. It cuts above by 1/4". I don't think I can change that - I think it's a glitch with the machine. I know the person who gave the machine to me had issues with it not cutting in the cut area and she was using their software.  So I made a note to adjust my paper up 1/4 higher than where it shows on the mat on the screen.  It was a lot of trial and error trying to work it out.
    Now my issue is it won't cut the shapes all the way. grr!  The circles I had in the corners didn't fully go around.They were disconnected on the right. So I put a couple hearts in the middle - those were disconnected on the lefts. So I don't think it was going outside of the cutting area. It did it on the same side whether the circles were on the left or right sides of the mat.
    I'm going to have to do some more testing with words and see what happens. If they're not going to cut all the way, what good is the machine going to be?

(and I tried that back and forth thing with the power off)
    Kaleidoscope Creations Stamps Made in USA photopolymer Kaleidoscope Creations Sometimes I think I should just keep my opinions to myself, she said, but someone has got to be the voice of reason. ~ Brian Andreas
    @TAMinator - I can't think of anything else to suggest, but if I do, I will. I am thinking though that I went back to an older version of the Silhouette plugin because the last one needing fixing. I am not sure if I have that version still around.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
    You have the Silhouette registration marks?
  • TAMinatorTAMinator Member Posts: 2,941
    edited March 11
    @Liz_A Thanks - I got your message and read through it.
    I don't do print and cut.  All I did for my test cuts was using basic shapes from MTC but they wouldn't cut all the way. At least not the circles or the hearts. I haven't tried it again yet to see if my own file will cut right or using text. I just looked into the MTC program file and the version of the silhouette plugin I have is 3.0   Apparently I installed it in September 2018. (I would not have needed any before then so I don't have any old version.)
    ETA:  I have the 4.0 version of MTC. I never updated beyond that because of my cricut. I'm not a prolific user and don't need all the bells and whistles. I'm lucky to figure out how to just use it pretty basically. LOL